Confirmation is one of Colonial’s milestones that focuses on our core value of wrestling with the tensions in God’s word and world. It is an opportunity for a young person to take an intentional step with their faith to make it their own. Originally, Confirmation emerged in churches as a way of confirming one’s baptism and owning one’s faith as their own. As finite and flawed humans, we necessarily struggle with the teaching of Scripture, with God’s call to righteousness and with life in our troubled and complex world. And yet wrestling makes us honest, open and vulnerable toward God and others. Our doubts and struggles are material for deeper spiritual growth. See the story of Peter and Cornelius (Acts 10).
Registration for Confirmation is required. If you are going into 9th grade, register below. Scholarships are available.
What does Confirmation look like?
- Weekly attendance at Meetinghouse 6:30-8:00pm – see more below
- Interview/be interviewed by an selected adult regarding their faith journey (more details in the packet)
- 20 hours of faith community service (Pyro, Loaves and Fishes, Mission Trips, VBS, other church service opportunities)
- Plans are in the works for our Mission Trip to Columbia, South America, to work alongside churches and experience the power of the Christian faith in another culture. More information to follow.
- Participate in at least one additional youth community event (more details to come, fun events like tubing, hangouts, etc. – we don’t want you to be a stranger!)
- Participate in Confirmation Weekend (September 27-29, 2019)
- Students will be expected to attend Sunday worship at Colonial.
What does Meetinghouse look like?
The vast majority of confirmation takes place during our Wednesday Night Programming. An average Wednesday night for a confirmation student looks like the following:
6:30 – 7:00: Meetinghouse Time
A time where people of all ages gather for a time as a group for the purpose of building better relationships with each other. This time will include worship, games, and other fun ways for our community to engage and grow together.
7:00 – 8:00: Choose a Path
Choir: Join the best Chorale in Minneapolis! If you would rather sing than sit in a breakout, we support you! The choir is a great community and we have people young and old that would love to welcome you. Remember that joining the choir also means you commit to singing on Sundays.
Elective breakouts: Pick between different breakouts taught by pastors, community members, and other great speakers. We’ll cover topics like the Bible, conversing with other religions, prayer practices, art, etc. Each person is encouraged to pick what interest them the most. You can go with others you know, or go off on your own (though every option will have a mentor to help you connect). We will offer breakouts that uniquely appeal to different interest and learning styles throughout the year and are always open to suggestions! Each breakout lasts 3-4 weeks before a new breakouts begin (See ministry calendar online soon).
8:00 – 9:00 Open Pond
An optional hour in the Pond Room that is just for high schoolers (including Confirmands) to connect, snack, and build relationships with one another. It’s not a time for sermons and learning as much as it is a time for relationships – It’s laid back and totally optional. Come when you can, stay as long as you want (until the staff has to go home – because we’re old).