We have a proposal. It is simple -- and simply bold. Let’s give away $1 million!
That’s right - $1 million, all to projects that dream of doing good in their neighborhood.
The Blessing Initiative is about more than picking projects for funding - it's about finding partners for Kingdom work.After over a year of careful discernment, our congregation has identified nine new partners with whom to engage God's restorative work in the world. From high-quality and affordable preschool for kids and families in Minneapolis to mentoring and job training for people coming out of prison to two creative takes on combating housing insecurity in our neighborhoods, we get to see a lot of beautiful Kingdom work take place in a lot of different places and contexts, and we feel so lucky - blessed, really - to begin the long and fruitful work of walking alongside these ideas and organizations: cheering them on, praying for them, and engaging practically with them where it makes sense.
Keep in touch here for upcoming opportunities to engage with our Blessing Inititative ministry partners!
Current Volunteer Needs
From the beginning, our hope with our Blessing Initiative recipients was to find ideas and organizations that could call us into a long-term partnership where we could roll up our sleeves and serve where it made sense.
Note the following opportunities for Whittier Wildflowers Preschool:
- Back to School Drive: WWP is also looking for specific school supplies to give to incoming students. See their Target registry to learn more and get started. Items may also be dropped off at Colonial Church.
- Classroom Helpers: Have a heart to walk alongside preschool kids in both play and learning? Beginning in September 2021, WWP is looking for volunteers to regularly assist in the classroom. Contact Ann Hotz for more details.
- Playdough Making + Project Prep: The title says it all - help make playdough for each class and prepare classroom projects by cutting out and tracing items. This opportunity is monthly. Contact Ann Hotz for more details.
- Enrichment Activities: Choose your own adventure! Do you have something special to share with the preschoolers? We're looking for occasional volunteers to share something unique and enriching with the students, whether it's dance, music, language, science, cooking, or anything else! Contact Ann Hotz to get connected.
- Administrative Support: WWP is looking for gifted and detail-oriented friends who can assist with things like website upkeep, marketing, fundraising, grant writing, and human resources consulting. Contact Ann Hotz to get connected.
- Monthly Staff Lunch: Sign up to provide lunch for WWP's eight staff members during their staff meeting on the 2nd Friday of each month. It can be homemade or delivered from a local restaurant. Contact Ann Hotz to get signed up.
- Open House Preschool Blessing: WWP is hosting an open house on September 26th at 4:00pm, and you're invited to come, check out the space, and pray a blessing over the space and staff alongside other Colonial members and friends. And join everybody afterwards at The Prodigal Public House alongside Pastors Jeff & Randi Cowmeadow.
Berrie & Ed Lounsberry (Champions)
Mission & Blessing Initiative Fair
Sunday, September 19th from 10:45 - 12:00pm
Past Blessing Initiative Updates
We're so grateful for each of you who cast your vote on the slate of Initiatives candidates.It's been a true joy to learn about each idea, and we hope you've felt the wind of God's Spirit behind each of them.
Learn more about the recipients by clicking here.
We are so grateful and glad to unveil our five Blessings award recipients, each of them receiving $20,000.Learn more about the recipients by clicking here.
Pray alongside us.We received just under 30 applications in all, and each one of them is an idea that's exciting and full of heart. To all who championed or helped to champion one of these ideas — thank you.
You've dreamt with us.
Now, we invite you to pray alongside us.Would you join us in thanking God for each application — and not just for the idea, but for each person behind it?
And would you join us in praying for discernment for our team of Colonial members — each from a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives — as they begin screening each idea?
Thanks for dreaming big with us.At 11:59pm on November 5th, the window for applications for the Blessing Initiative officially closed.
We've already invested $200,000 in organizations on the frontline of COVID-19 relief, and we're excited to extend the remaining $800,000 to support Spirit-driven ideas and begin a long-term partnership with the organizations behind them.