Confirmation Class of 2016-17
Confirmation (Confo) dives deep into our Christian faith, joining other students and adult mentors in a stronger relationship with Jesus Christ. Confirmation emerged in churches as a means of confirming one’s baptism and owning for oneself the Way, the Truth and the Life found Christ Jesus our Lord. To this end, we plan for learning, relationship and service to shape the faith of our 2017 class in long-lasting ways.
Based on input from parents and students, we’ve put together an outstanding year together. Highlights include:
- Weekly class time on Wednesday nights, 6:30-8pm, composed of hearing faith stories from a variety of faithful adults, a study through the gospel of Mark, and small groups led by committed leaders, providing opportunities for in depth discussion of faith and life. Students will be invited to participate in the high school gathering, known as Current, following Confirmation.
- Confirmation Sunday will be September 24, 2017. The Confirmation weekend would include the traditional banquet and participation in worship.
- Each student will have an adult mentor from Colonial Church to walk him or her through confirmation. These relationships will be informal, supportive and an opportunity to learn from an adult what it means to follow Jesus for one’s whole life.
- There will be serve components in Confirmation. Each student will be tasked with amassing 20 hours of community service with the Colonial Church mission partner over the course of the year.
- Plans are in the works for our Confirmation Mission Trip to Columbia, South America, June 13-22 to work alongside churches and experience the power of the Christian faith in another culture. We will be led by Dr. Gustavo Karakey.
- Students will be expected to attend Sunday worship at Colonial, complete a Confirmation project of their choosing, sit with a pastor for a one-on-one personal reflection on their experience, and complete a short final evaluation/reflection paper.
Registration for Confirmation 2016-17 is closed.
Confo classes meet Wednesday night, 6:30pm, Gathering Room I.
Helpful Confirmation documents and links:
Confirmation Checklist (updated February 7, 2017)
Template for Sermon Notes
Contacts for Twenty Hours of Service
Study guide for Gospel of Mark
Information on Gustavo Karakey and his work in Colombia